- Students gain the skills needed to work with people in a way that preserves their dignity and builds on their strengths, empowering them to address their concerns and leading to better outcomes.
- Students learn to identify and work with the strengths inherent in individuals, families and communities.
- Students gain practical skills for assisting people in making positive changes that will improve the quality of their lives.
- Students are prepared for personal and professional growth.
- Students have built a solid base for graduate studies in a wide variety of professional and academic fields.
- Students become effective agents of positive change.
- Fundamental understanding of the historical development of concepts of justice
- Understanding and basic knowledge of major theories, concepts and processes of justice
- A critical understanding of formalized constructs and procedures designed to impart justice
- Understanding of a variety of perspectives regarding alternate concepts of justice and social change
- Understanding the roles of cultural, social and historical forces in shaping concepts of justice
Careers and Further Study
The health and human service industry has been identified by the Bureau of Labor Statistics as an area of increasing growth in the 21st century. Students majoring in human services may find themselves working and leading in a variety of settings — with adolescents in residential programs or with the elderly in nursing homes, in the community or in health centers, as program directors, as case managers or outreach workers. They work in prevention or in treatment, in after-school programs or criminal justice programs.
Our graduates are well positioned to enter graduate studies in human services, psychology, counseling, social work, law, political science, government studies, corrections, law enforcement, forensics, criminology, religious and peace studies. This program can lead to careers in law, government service, corrections, law enforcement, politics, urban and community planning, mediation and management in NGOs, government, and community agencies.